7/13/21 Virtual Business Meeting Minutes

The SCA Harassment and Bullying Policy was posted and read by the Baronial Seneschal.


·       Nothing to report.

Baronial Seat-Aibhilin and Declan

·       Thank you Pixie for the recent Iron Monger publication.

·       The Crown Tournament Finals will be this Saturday.


·       No change


·       As a newbie Herald and still a newbie SCA member, I realize that I have a lot to learn. In order to not get overwhelmed, I will start where I think it easiest for me to do so. Court Heraldry is the area where I feel I can slip in most easily and is most needed by the Barony specifically. There are plenty of Heralds out there who specialize in other types of Heraldry who we can turn to as I develop in my new role.

·       For my first active step in being a Court Herald, I wish to report that I am trying to practice the art of projecting my voice so that I don’t rely on my vocal chords in Court. My wife has agreed to help me with this.

·       I would also like to thank the 10 people who attended the Baronial Social event I held at my home in June. It was good to see people in person. I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did.

·       Lastly, one of my goals as Baronial Herald is to help foster pride in The Barony. In addition to the social event, I previously made available Iron Bog car magnets at cost. I know we all have many diverse interests in The SCA, but I would really like to see more interest, more PRIDE in The Barony itself. They say Waugh! Bhakail!! next barony over. I say Vivat! Iron Bog!!!

Knight Marshal-Sterling

·       Fighter practice has continued to be at Cooper River Park (weather permitting).  There is a weekly polling that is goes up asking about attendance. This polling can be found on the Iron bog fighter practice group located on Facebook. 

·       There is still plenty of room should fencers like to join us. If the fencers have any concerns about a marshal being present – Please do not worry about that. There is normally a fencing marshal or two at the practice.

·       If heavy loaner gear is needed the Knight Marshall requests that you let him know no later than Thursday so he can make sure to bring it.

·       In the area news… Melee Sunday practices are starting up again. This past Sunday July 11th we had a much nicer turn out. This takes place at Quail Hill grounds in Carillion.

·       Ideas that are rolling around on the table- (meaning not locked into stone)

o   I am currently toying with the idea of getting a guest teacher to come down to share her knowledge. The goal would be to just share a different point of view when it comes to mechanics.

o   Mock tourney Sunday

o   Reaching back out to the Kingdom Youth Marshal to become warranted again — With luck there is someone else here in Iron Bog that would have interest in becoming a Youth Marshal so that we can offer another way of introducing our hobby to new families.

·       Local land news… please welcome to the Barony  Sir Rory Maclellan and Baroness Astridr Sigrun Ulfkelsdottir

·       Should you have questions, thoughts, ideas about heavy weapons combat, please come share with me.

Fence Marshall-Taka

·       Nothing to report.

Company Captain of the Archers-Eoin

·       No report.

Mistress of the Lists- Sterling

·       Short sweet — check your card — check your friends card — Have that friend check a card — the more cards that do not expire the more fun you can have with your friends on the field.

·       We have not had a tourney as of yet… so not frills there…

·       Outside of land news — This past Saturday, 7/10, there was a Toys for Tots tourney held. Both heavy and rapier.

·       Iron bog was well represented that day with three members being able to attend.

·       All three fought very well and figuring  it was the first tourney. There were many laughs. As well as toys of plenty.

·       If you happen to be some place and you see or hear of a tourney please let me know — I will ask if members of Iron Bog were there and how they did.

·       Should you find yourself or others with questions, comments, thoughts, ideas please do not hesitate to reach out to share.

Mistress of A&S- Wentlyanna

·       We had a virtual A&S night on Friday 7/2. The 3 of us in attendance had a nice chat.

·       I have gotten a number of responses to the survey I posted. If you didn’t respond and would like to see something in particular, please feel free to respond there or via email. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PKQP8LP

·       I will be putting together a few classes based on the responses that I received, and look forward to hearing about other suggestions that people have.

Chatelaine: Alexis

·       Nothing to report.


·       No report.


·       No report.


·       2nd Quarter issue of the Iron Monger was published.


·       Nothing to report

Chancellor of Youth-Fiadhnait

·       Nothing to report.

Financial Committee

·       Barony Larry emailed the Event Bid to the Financial Committee. Valery and Aibhilin did not receive it.

Old business:

River War-Sterling

·       As we discussed last meeting — This year River War will be postponed for another year. 

·       With us having so much time on our hands, I am betting that “you” might have had some thoughts and ideas come to light. Please let us all take this time that we have to see if we can meet the challenge of having an EVEN  MORE fun event. IF the goal was to become a top 10 must not miss event in the KINGDOM.  In order for that to come about please share your thoughts, ideas …

Island Event-Sterling

·       As many of you may know I am hoping to hold an event/demo on the island at Cooper River Park. A day filled with the fun of tourneys.

·       However, I will be holding this off for a bit due to the event proposal presented by Barry Lawrence.  I still want to do something on the island. I had already gotten the cost for the permit and a few other things in place.  After speaking with him even though I will still vote “no” just because — please know that my support for his idea is very much in support of his idea and will be working with in any way that is needed to help make the event successful.

New Business:

Baronial Champions Event-Baron Larry

·       Owynn posted the Event Bid to the meeting. There will be Rattan, Rapier and Thrown Weapon Champs. There will be a dayboard, which Triona has volunteered to run. Sterling and Larry will update the current River War event listing to change for this Baronial Champions Event.

·       Baroness and Baron Aibhilin want to add in Baronial A&S Champs. We will need a small space for a table for the Competitors to display their entries. We typically get 3-5 entrants. The Competitors will set-up their entries in the morning (by Noon at the last). We will need to add a time on the schedule in the afternoon for Declan and Aibhilin to meet/consult with the current Champ (if possible), and any former Barons/Baronesses available for input/judging. Aibhilin and Declan will reach out to the current Champ, Katya.

·       Thrown Weapons-Aibhilin will reach out to Colin Mackenzie who had offered to help with our Thrown Weapons to see if he is available, as well as, reaching out to Mikael Melrakki in Bhakail as we will need a Marshal and targets. Aibhilin and Declan will reach out to the current TW Champs, Taka.

·       Larry needs a check for the site insurance. Katya will bring a check to Molly and then Creature or Peach to get the required 2 signatures.

·       Genevra will contact Mistress Ose about the date of the event to see if Andre’s elevation will be held there.

The Event Big was voted on and approved.

Archery and Thrown Weapons-Baroness Aibhilin

·       Ragna (Alicia) is interested in becoming Marshal in TW and Archery. I will talk to Mikael and Colin Mackenzie about getting her trained. Taka has Archery targets that he would donate, and is an Archery Marshal. Ragna also said that she would like to host TW and Archery practices at her place. Aibhilin and Declan will reach out to Eoin as well.

Motion made to adjourn and seconded.

Submitted by Baroness Aibhilin inghean Ui Phaidin

Leave a Reply